The Prorectorate for Research – PROPESQ is a central executive body of Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina whose aim is to assist the Rector with executive tasks in the areas of research, innovation, intellectual property, entrepreneurship and business incubation.
PROPESQ seeks to contribute to the realization and strengthening of UFSC social role in the areas of research and technological innovation, by means of institutional policies, the development and maintenance of project information systems and other related activities culminating in the dissemination of research results carried out in the University.
Research at UFSC
Research at UFSC is developed by faculty members and, in some cases, by the administrative staff in their respective departments. Undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to take part in research activities, and this is done through the provision of scientific scholarships. At the graduate level, students must develop a research paper and are supervised by advanced faculty members registered in graduate programs.
The main responsibilities of the Prorectorate for Research are:
- coordinate the implementation of actions related to the research policy of the University as defined by the University Council;
- promote and support institutional policies, projects and activities related to research;
- comply with and enforce research legislation at various institutional levels such as the Research Council, Academic Schools, Departments and Supplementary Bodies;
- promote and support the development of individual and collective research at departmental, interdepartmental and interinstitutional levels;
- stimulate, authorize and supervise scientific and technological research projects, as well as science administration and technology transfer projects, with a view to ensuring their regularity and compatibility with the public interest;
- coordinate fund raising actions for research projects, including with regards to the CT-INFRA (national fund for science and technology infrastructure), multiuser labs, incubators, tax waiver and budget decentralization;
- propose and manage agreements and exchange with other entities, aiming to promote research development;
- supervise the collection, organization and publication of data from scientific and technical production by faculty and researchers from UFSC;
- contribute to the realization and strengthening of the social function of UFSC in the area of research;
- perform other activities pertaining to the area or that may be delegated by the Rector.